Visit us in the quaint hamlet of Myrtle Station, ON at: 9585 Baldwin St. N. (905)655-4858
(17.8km north of 401 exit 410. Look for the green house with the red roof a few doors north of the Myrtle Station railroad tracks)

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Back in the Saddle with the 4th doctor

or should I say back in my comfy knitting nest now with Netflix
I started this scarf a couple of years ago for my son, who at 40 is the correct age for the 4th Dr.Who, played by Tom Baker from 1974 to 1981. Now feels like a good time to work at it again
The original version has a name The Acheson Hero Scarf, and was made by Begonia Pope. The Acheson lives the typical life of a star, with numerous modifications and repairs, a stunt double and many "knock off" imitations.
www.doctorwhoscarf.com has loads of great information about the scarf, including the history, and suitable modern yarns and colours for guidance. I am enjoying the mindfulness aspect of slipping the last stitch in the row, rather than the usual first.
My (vintage) yarn colour choice was made by matching as close as possible, the suggested food and ordinary household items photographs on the site. Very helpful!
I used the weavers stripe preview trick of winding the colours on a strip of matt board.
I also am using a very special and particular online calculator aka "The scarfomatic" , which is just brilliant, except now I know I am a little over 10% of the journey.

Well, sigh, next Christmas for sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment