Visit us in the quaint hamlet of Myrtle Station, ON at: 9585 Baldwin St. N. (905)655-4858
(17.8km north of 401 exit 410. Look for the green house with the red roof a few doors north of the Myrtle Station railroad tracks)

Monday, January 16, 2017

A taste of hand weaving Part 1

Early on in my fibre journey I learned to hand weave with Mrs Bannister in Queenston, Ontario. Eventually I achieved a paid hand weaver position in Niagara on the Lake. This year, I have been given the opportunity by the Whitby Knitting Guild to share a taste of hand weaving and am so super delighted. Let's start with passion and curiosity. Here are pictures of boxed yarn compositions Sharion Thompson curated for us a few years ago.
If you have visited our studio you will know we hold a vast fabulous yarn collection, both vintage and current. Sharion dedicated time in the company of our yarn and generously devoted her skill to composing 7 boxes of yarn materpieces.
I asked her about making these works of art after a visit to her home where she showed me the river she had created for a friend of hers.
Yes a river, a fabulous mix of colour and texture, all worked into a vibrant, alive blanket.
I was enchanted by Sharions' river, and sure wish I had a photo to share with you.
However, here, very lovely in their won right are the 7 groupings, for your viewing pleasure.
They have been lurking in our lopi room, awaiting their time, their moment to shine! 
It will be great fun to sharing them at the knit club meeting in February with the sample looms I have built and will share on the blog with you soon. In part 2, will be pictures of the yarn cards we made from the boxes as well as some compositions of my own.

3 comments: